Flash Fiction #58

Prompt: You've been ordered to kill someone you've fallen in love with. How did you get into this situation and what will you do next?

Hope you enjoy!

~~~

"Shoot her." The boss told me as he handed me a pistol, and guided my hand to point it at Ashley. She was tied to a chair with rope, unconscious.

My eyes were wide open with shock. I couldn't believe what I just heard. "B-Boss, w-what do you mean? She's our comrade!"

"Not anymore. We found out she has been betraying us all along. She's a spy for the police."

"I don't believe you!" I lowered the pistol a little bit, trying to grasp what was going on. "Are you certain? She has to be set up by someone else."

"It doesn't matter at this point. Even if she wasn't the spy, I need to send a message to keep my image."

Ashley woke up from her slumber, and fidgeted in her seat realising that she was tied up. "What's going on?" She saw the boss and I in the dimly lit room. "Why was I knocked out cold and tied up here?" Then she saw the gun pointed at her. "I swear I'm loyal! Please don't kill me!"

"I'll leave it up to you on how you want to kill her." The boss turned around as he patted my shoulder. "If it makes you feel better, I was planning on allowing you to marry her if things went differently. Since she'll be gone, a spot just opened up at the table. I'll see you with the others once you clean up this mess." Then I watched him walk outside the room, leaving the two of us alone.

Ashley cried, as I could feel her voice shaking with fear, "Ken, did he tell you to kill me? What's going on? I don't want to die!"

"Yes. Apparently, there's a spy in the organisation and I was ordered to kill you." Tears escaped my grasp as I was unable to hide my emotions.

"You know that's not true! We promised to not keep any secrets between us!" She tried to squeeze her hands through the gap between the rope and the arm of the chair, but they were tied really tight.

"I know, but I can't possibly oppose the boss' orders." I raised the pistol up to Ashley's face, and walked right up to her until it was touching her skin. As she was begging for her life, I never saw her so scared before. Then I saw my reflection in her eyes. Tears were running down my cheeks. I fell in love with her on first sight. "Ashley, please close your eyes. It'll make things easier for the both of us."

"If you're going to shoot me, then you're going to have to remember all of this crystal clear!"

I couldn't jeopardise the mission that I was sent out to do no matter the cost, even if I have to sacrifice love to do it. I still had my real life to go back to one day. "Sorry, Ashley. I hope that in our next life, we can be together." I closed my eyes as I pulled the trigger. There was a loud bang, and my hand had swung up from the force. Then I dropped the pistol as I fell to my knees, sobbing.

I'm the spy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #14