Flash Fiction #21

While listening to some music, I took another look at a short idea that I had shelved earlier. Hope it makes sense and you enjoy it. :)

There's a project that I'm thinking of starting soon. It's still in the planning stages, so I don't want to say anything until I have a clearer focus on what's the story, character, setting, style, etc. I just wanted to say something...

~~~

After one year went by, I finally got myself up bit by bit. Beforehand, each day was a chore to get up in the morning to come to school. I never told anyone what I thought,  not even to my parents to avoid their worries. Every time I came to school, I would avoid all of my classmates' eyes and tried my best to blend into the background. I always thought to want to live a solitary life after what happened one year ago.

Things changed four years later.

I met a friend and through her, I got to meet many more people to fill in the loneliness. Time made me forget the sadness and pain from that time long ago. Then one day, I was participating at a sports tournament. As I was walking and observing the different teams in the gymnasium, that was when I saw "her".

The first instinct I did was bolting into the hallway, unsure of what to do. My good friend, Jen, found me hiding right outside one of the side entrances shaking. She came up to me and asked, "what are you doing here, Jackie? You're about to be playing soon!"

I looked up at her with wide eyes, shaking my head. "I can't go back in there. Not now. I don't know what to do."

"What on earth are you talking about, Jackie?" Jen replied, confused.

"I told you a while ago about this girl that I had a crush on. I just saw her in there, and everything is coming back. I don't know what to do if I do end up meeting her face to face."

Jen looked at me, frustrated. "It's been, like what? 4 years? From what you told me, it seems that she didn't even know you existed. I think you're making a big deal out of nothing."

I defended myself. "But I know who she is. The point is that what should I do? Greet her as if it was a long time acquaintance, or pretend to be strangers and continue on our separate paths?"

Jen said, "you just said what you should do. Since you don't know her as a friend, then you two are strangers. Let's go back into the gymnasium and enjoy the tournament."

I watched her go back inside the gymnasium, and I stood up while leaning against the wall still uncertain about my decision. I didn't have to wait to make the decision because "she" walked out into the hallway and turned to face the same direction as me. I couldn't help myself from staring at her. I got the courage to raise my hand half way up into the air from my waist, but "she" walked right past me without a hint of hesitation or emotion. My eyes grew larger with shock at the realization, and took a few steps forward to the gymnasium wanting to cry.

~~~

Sorry. I wanted this idea to be longer, but can't find the words at this particular moment... Ending it shorter than what it was at the beginning. I may return to it to expand on it at a later time. I do want to expand on it. Hope you enjoyed this short snippet of the idea though. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting your flash fiction! A nice work in progress; a story of unrequited love that we can all relate to! You did a good job of capturing the anxious feelings. I also enjoy flash fiction, check out my post on my blog, diaryoflaura.blogspot.com, I would appreciate your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you put the feelings in a really nice way.. good read :)

    A Rat's Nibble

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #13

My Impressions of Hinokio