Day 1 [Vancouver]

First day in Vancouver! It's my first time on the West Coast in Canada. The flight from Toronto to Vancouver was no problem, although it was delayed by 20 minutes for takeoff. I didn't know that Air Canada provided free entertainment, especially international movies. There were a couple of Japanese movies that I had put on my to-watch list. One of those movies that I decided to watch on the flight was called The Third Murder.

The movie was written and directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda (A Little Sister, After the Storm), and starred Masaharu Fukuyama, Koji Yakusho, and Suzu Hirose. Wikipedia has a pretty good synopsis of the movie without spoiling the movie, so here it is: Tomoaki Shigemori is a lawyer tasked with defending a client (Misumi), who faces the death penalty if found guilty, in a murder trial. Misumi has previous convictions for murder and has confessed to the crime, but evidence in the case leads to Shigemori having doubts about what really happened (1).

Overall, I enjoyed the film as a whole. Much like with Our Little Sister, I found the movie to have a slow pace but I enjoy the director taking his time with establishing the shots with interesting angles/edits, and showing subtle hints about the main characters' personality through their actions. I couldn't say no to watching either Masaharu Fukuyama or Suzu Hirose acting in a movie, so I was pleased with their acting scenes. I'm looking forward to the director's latest movie, Shoplifters, as it won the Palme d'Or at the 2018 Cannes Festival. His other recent movies, After the Storm and Like Father, Like Son, are also on my to-watch list.

After arriving in Vancouver, my brother, sister-in-law, and I rented a car to get to our first accomodation in Fort Moody. After settling down, we decided to go to Granville Island to do some exploring in Vancouver. We were only there for just under 3 hours so we couldn't see all of the area, but it was mainly for lunch. We might possibly return to explore the rest of the area on a later date.

I'm going to try to be consistent and write daily blog posts during my trip as a challenge. I'll try to get inspiration and formulating my thoughts during the day to write more in order for that happen.

References:
1 - Bradshaw, Peter (15 September 2017). "The Third Murder review – death-sentence drama leaves you hanging". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 6 February 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #13

My Impressions of Hinokio