Flash Fiction #22

I have a little update to say on upcoming projects. I have 3 short stories that are in revision at the moment, and probably the closest in being released soon compared to my longer WIPs. Aside from the editing and probably outside help on proofreaders from friends when I ask, I need to come up with actual cover designs. Thankfully I have some ideas but need to somehow take pictures of them. Even though it sounds like there isn't much work left, it is still a lot of work.

Another update is that a friend told me about cell phone novels. Technically speaking, she told me like 4 years ago or something but I was re-acquainted recently with cell phone novels by the same person (which she has no memory of telling me before). I do have a main idea for that sort of genre, but am going to need to plan it out a bit more... plus have to get together a cover design in the mean time which I do have some ideas... I also have to read some examples about cell phone novels to get a feel for them... They are similar to flash fiction stories, but instead of usually one offs, they are a series of chapters all linked together into one very long continuous story. I still need to read them though. Very intriguing, but I wonder how this will turn out...

The site that I'm going to upload it on can be used to upload stories and short stories, not just cell phone novels, which I can do. But well... I like a new challenge =)

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy this flash fiction. I had thought of the main idea a couple of days ago. =)

~~~

Another sleepless night in my room.

The light from my computer screen was emanating onto my face in the pitch dark room. It has been years that I forgot the reason why I became like this. What I mean by this is avoiding the rules of society, shutting out everyone I know, and staying inside my room in my parent's house. I lost confidence in people by betrayals, family problems, and I wanted none of it. I chose to be an observer by staring in front of my computer screen reading and watching as the world continues on without me.

I finally got the urge to get up to place my dinner just outside my room for my parents after I finish watching a drama series. Immediately after doing so, I lock my door to sit at my desk again. I lean back in my chair as a I notice that my home is eerily quiet tonight. I ignore the thought as there is a big chance that my parents are asleep. I press play on my stereo to listen to my favourite songs from a girl group, and fell asleep until the sun seep through the blinds.

I start to rub my eyes from my sleep with a yawn, and check the hallway to ensure my parents are not there. With a quick dash, I enter the washroom and I let out a laugh after looking at myself in the mirror at the thought that I used to be one of the fastest on the track team. It seemed so long ago. After walking out of the washroom, my stomach gurgle and started to descend the stairs to go to the kitchen to quickly prepare my breakfast.

Our kitchen was connected to the living room. As soon as I enter the kitchen, my eyes open wide in shock. A paper was left on the coffee table, and I pick it up to read what it said. "Your mom and I can't do it any longer. We can't take care of you the rest of your life as you relax for free. This is your lesson. Step out into the world, and join everyone. -Dad."

My knees lower down to the carpet in the living room, crying.

What should I do? Go out? I'm afraid. I've never stepped outside since that time, but I have to this time if I want to survive. I have to prove them wrong.

I pick myself up and force each leg forward until I was facing the front door in the front foyer. My hands tremble out of fear, and beads of sweat roll down my forehead. I could hear my heart beat from within as if someone was playing the drums next to me. From the few minutes in the living room, my thirst made my lips dry. Even as I lean forwards to grab the doorknob on the front door, my hands still tremble. Then I collapse onto the floor, and bang the door with my head with tears falling down, while shaking my head.

I couldn't do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #12

Flash Fiction #14