Background about Sky

Much like the Crystalite Saga, Project Sky is another important story to me. It was originally labelled as Project Disgaea because in grade 10 of high school, my friend and I had wanted to do our own Disgaea sequel because we really loved playing the Disgaea series! We would based it off of the first game in the series and added in a couple of original characters into the already existing cast of characters. It would be a mix of light hearted and serious moments like in the first game. I guess it would be like fanfiction if the story was started. Sadly it didn't get that far because my friend didn't want to ruin our scope of Project Disgaea, so he pulled away from the story to start his own. To say the least, he felt his ideas and original characters had clashed with the overall feel of the story so I think he didn't want to change the story because of him. It would have been more of his story than our story. It was a change of creative vision between the both of us. However, I'm happy that he tells me his story to this day to get feedback from me. In fact we promise to do some sort of collaboration in the near future (as it is one of my dreams to co-write a story). But I digress.

This left me with the remains of Project Disgaea with my handful of incomplete ideas and two original characters (Itou and Yuki) in grade 11 and 12. Shortly after I decided to scrap Project Disgaea and tentatively called it Sky as an original story. The funny thing is that Sky would be more serious and I too had scrapped the light hearted ideas of Project Disgaea. The overarching concept in the story that I wanted to convey from the very beginning is "One World, One Sky". Another experiment that I wanted to try with this lofty goal is that underneath the overarching main plot, I wanted separate arcs to be distinct and different from one another, such as having different genres in each arc depending on the area and cast of minor characters interacting with the main characters. 

The one idea that survived from Project Disgaea was that the existing cast of characters would travel around the Netherworld on a journey while meeting our original characters and just plain craziness. I changed that to travelling through dimensions only on one world though. Now that I think about it, the characters Yuki and Itou did not change as much from the fanfiction idea. It was also a first for me to draw my characters to get a better description. Anime was also an important influence (since Disgaea had anime graphics). 

Much like how the Crystalite Saga will get short snippets of mini side stories of minor characters, Sky would probably be treated the same way in the mean time. It's on hold at the moment until I finish writing other stories. This gives me time to do more research on the Sci-Fi and Fantasy elements of the story and finish outlining the main story. I think I prematurely jump started the first draft without really knowing how I was going to connect the individual stories together under the overarching idea. Till next time =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #14