Flash Fiction #9

As I was sitting alone at one of the tables in the cafeteria for lunch, I noticed today that she was only sitting a table away from me with her group of friends. I was instantly attracted to her since the beginning of the year, and I started to have a crush on her. Even though we never talk before, I felt that I knew a little bit of her personality by observing her every day of the school year at lunch. However if she ever looked in my direction, I would immediately look down at my food out of shyness until I can watch her again. Her clumsy and goofy expression whenever she said or did something funny. Her angry frustrated expression when a teasing gone for way too long at her own expense. Her embarrassed expression when people made fun of her mistakes. The only face that I did not see was her tears. I don't wish for any ill-fated news upon her, but my curiosity had piqued my imagination. However more importantly, her smile was the only expression that I wanted to see on her face. Whenever she laughed or smiled, it brought a warmth in my heart and my day was completely satisfied.

I decided that today was the day to finally say Hi to her. I carefully thought up a foolproof plan to take my tray of food, walk over there, say Hi, and then leave. I don't want to bring any unwanted attention upon myself with her group of friends. Therefore when their conversation was getting busier and louder, I would then go over there and get her attention with my greeting. 

With my luck, everybody in her group of friends was soon busy conversing with one another. I gathered my courage to pick up my tray and went straight towards her. She looked up at me with an inquiring look after I tapped on her shoulder from behind. I greeted, "I just wanted to say Hi and I have admired you for a long time. My name is Jackie."

She fully turned around on her chair to face me and replied, "Nice to meet you. My name is..."

---

If only my imagination was reality, but alas here I am still watching her from afar. I'm a coward at heart and I can't imagine myself doing what my mind had thought up to get her attention. For the time being, watching her from a distance is the best I can do right now and my way to be happy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #14