Flash Fiction #3

Here is something that I thought up a while ago. I don't really know where this came from all of a sudden when Valentine's Day was just around the corner. Hope you enjoy =)

-----

The sound of gunshots were all around me. Explosions from grenades ignited across the battlefield. To both my left and right, comrades fell down one by one. Our line of defense was slowly being destroyed by the enemy. I hid in our trenches shaking in fear at the clear defeat for all of us. I took out a picture of my sweetheart and looked at it one last time. I really wanted to see those hazelnut eyes gazing on me, and the scent of her auburn hair flowing with the wind again. I would trade anything in for that to happen. Those were the days long passed and forgotten.

"Is that your girlfriend?" A fellow soldier asked who was sitting beside me.

I merely nodded and tucked it in after wiping the tears from my eyes. Our commanding officer came to us and explained his counterattack against the enemy. We were part of the decoy.

When he continued on to relay his plan to the rest of our group, I looked to my comrade next to me and gulped, "This is it. Our final assault. Our last chance."

"Do you think we'll make it out of this alive?"

I replied honestly, "I don't know, but all we can do is trust in our commander, believe we'll win, and hope for the best. That's all we can do."

He nodded in agreement and we waited for the signal. For the last moment of our lives, it felt like eternity to wait another minute. Then we and half of the remaining soldiers leaped out for the final encounter.

Comments

  1. I've never tried writing flash fiction! Looks fun, though. Maybe I'll give it a go. ;)

    One suggestion: avoid passive language! ("Fell" instead of "were falling," "ignited" instead of "were igniting," etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =) I'll keep that suggestion in mind for the future!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #14

Flash Fiction #12