Flash Fiction #52

Writing Prompt: In this scene, include something that your character is afraid of.

Hope you enjoy!

~~~

"I think that I just erased the mental image of Sarah making out with Taylor from my memory." Maria nodded with approval after reading her favourite baseball comic book. After putting down one of the volumes, Sarah knocked on Maria's door and opened it.

"Maria, dinner time."

As soon as Maria saw Sarah again, the mental image returned to her and made a squeamish sound. Sarah sighed, annoyed, knowing exactly what Maria was thinking. "That's what you get for barging into my room unannounced. I don't feel sorry at all."

"Put up a sign or something." Maria argued as they descended down to the dining room.

"Knock at least, like what I just did." Sarah shook her head. "Manners and common sense, Maria."

Maria totally forgot about the conversation as soon as she saw at least one dish they were going to eat for dinner. "Eh?! Is that squid that I see? Mom! You know I hate squid!"

Her mom sat down in her chair. "If you don't like it, you don't have to get seconds. Try it at least."

Maria stared at the diced squid on her plate as she sat down, whimpering. She poked it with her fork. Sarah started to eat hers alongside the rice on the plate, and teased Maria. "It's not that bad. I don't get why you hate squid."

"It's so chewy, and gross!" Maria pinched her nose with two fingers as she stabbed that same diced squid with the fork. Then she put it into her mouth and started to chew. The longer that she chew, the more uncomfortable she felt. "Mom and Dad, I'm really sorry. I can't eat it." She took a napkin and spit out the remains into it.

Their parents looked at one another, and sighed at another failed attempt to try to make their youngest daughter less picky with food.

~~~

I realized that the prompt was something that the character is afraid of, but I guess it's more of something the character doesn't like. Oops...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

My Impressions of Hinokio