My Impressions of Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You)

(Using image from: http://asianwiki.com/From_Me_to_You)

I watched Kimi ni Todoke a couple of years ago, but I recently watched it again. I remember when I watched it the first time, I really enjoyed the film. I read a bit of the manga to get a glimpse of what the characters were like but I never finished it. After rewatching it again, I can say that I still like the movie. It's a very sweet, touching and emotional movie throughout and I really like the main theme that plays at important moments in the film. I think the actors that they chose for the main roles (Miura Haruma and Tabe Mikako) fit the characters well in my opinion. Tabe Mikako played Kuronuma Sawako, the social outcast who is an introvert but has a caring personality despite her gloomy appearance. Miura Haruma played Kazehaya Shota, the popular guy in the classroom who is liked by all. The movie also shows to not judge people by its cover. Everyone misunderstands Sawako's intentions because she doesn't express her thoughts well. I think Tabe Mikako acted well showing the character's actions and facial expressions to try to come across the emotions on her face. It made me want to cheer for her character after going through struggles. The co-stars acted their roles well as the supporting cast.

The one thing that the live action adaptation doesn't have that the anime/manga has is the comedy, but I can understand why they went to make it more serious. It would make the presentation of the movie out of place, and not appropriate to tell the story when transitioning between the heavy and light hearted scenes. There are light hearted scenes that make you smile or laugh, but it was adapted to be more realistic. I guess they toned it down a bit. I like the cinematography of how the scenes are shot. It showed the town the characters lived in from various angles which made it look good, and I'm sure they use some sort of filter to adjust to the setting of the story. 

Overall, I still enjoyed the film. It's a very heartwarming film that is sweet and emotional. It leaves a smile on my face when the credit rolls in at the end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #12

Flash Fiction #14