Flash Fiction #16

As you may have guessed, this was one of a group of ideas that I had imagined on my cruise vacation. During the trip, I just quickly wrote down the main idea and did not expand upon it until now. I hope that I captured the original idea that I had... But hope you enjoy it regardless =)

~~~

On the second day of the trip, it was pure bliss enjoying the hot sun by the beach lying on a chair with the cool breeze coming from the ocean. There was no need to worry about work, or any stressful situation. It was like a reset button, and a time to recharge. Moments earlier, I made sure to put on enough sun screen to avoid looking like a red pepper. After my brief nap, a cousin sat down beside me. "You should join us in the water. It feels cool, and fantastic."

"In a bit." I looked up at her, and watched her go back to the water. After a couple of minutes, I decided to stand up and make my way down to the beach. As soon as my feet touched the water, it was freezing cold. Shivers shot straight up from my feet, and goosebumps appeared on my forearms. I bent over trying to hide it on my face. I had to force a smile as I gritted my teeth together, and made my way deeper into the shallow water. When the water was up to my shoulders, I finally took the plunge and took a deep breath to submerge my whole body underwater for a couple of seconds. After I came back to the surface for a breath, the cool temperature in the water was the perfect balance to the smoking weather under the sun. It was really refreshing.

Then I noticed my dad and a couple of people just laying on top of the water, floating and drifting around. When my dad stood up in the water again, I asked, "What were you doing, Dad?"

He replied, "You should try it. The salt water keeps you afloat, and it feels really nice."

I watched him float on top of the water without a care in the world again, and I walked away a bit to get my own space. I held my breath, as I tilted back bit by bit until my body was parallel with the waves. I closed my eyes as the sun's rays hit my face. It was the most relaxing, but frightful experience I had ever done in my life so far.

The waves hitting my body would sometimes cover my ears, and it would mute all of the sounds around me. It was as if I was one with nature. A place of solitude and loneliness that I couldn't be elsewhere aside from death or sleep. The fear of drowning in this lonely place truly scared me. Nobody would notice my disappearance since all it took was just that force to push me down deeper into the depths of the water; never to be seen again. When the waves uncovered my ears every now and then, it brought me back to reality and to the real world. The sounds that were muted, and isolated me from everyone as if they were faraway came back like they were always there. It was like a whimsical wind that came and go without much thought, and a high degree of freedom. I never realized the thought of the fear of dying, but it truly created a new desire to continue living. This was what I needed to reset my life.

But despite the new revelation, I wouldn't mind being in this position for a little while longer. The time spent drifting away, and dreaming was truly a lasting experience that I could never forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

My Impressions of Hinokio