Flash Fiction #47

I randomly thought of this idea while walking in a mall recently... Hope you enjoy!

~~~

Every so often, I would go to the mall, sit down on a chair out of the way and watch people go about their day from my view. The amount of people looking down on their phones as they walk boggles my mind. Look over there at that lady who almost walk right into the pole, clearly shaken by the abruptness in her obstacle. She looks around in a hurry as if to see whether anybody had seen her foolish action before carrying on with her composure back to normal. But in fact, there was at least one person watching and laughing at her. Me!

It's those moments that makes it interesting to see how people react when they least suspect. Then someone comes up to me, and I look up at a girl presumably around the same age as I.

"Hi, I couldn't help but notice you sitting here by yourself and laughing every now and then. What are you watching from here?" The girl takes a step behind me to see my point of view.

"It's nothing, really. I'm just watching people." I want to be as brief as possible as sweat begins to fall down my neck. Have I been noticed by another people watcher?

"Interesting. Anything interesting catch your eye?" She looks down at me, smiling.

"Not right now."

"Oh look over there! Err... that's a bit over the top." The girl points to my left and then her voice fades away over a couple of seconds. I could see why as a couple was being playful before being way into PDA.

"I have to agree to that," I nodded.

"Ah ha! I got your opinion on something! Yay!" The girl went in for a high five, but I didn't respond.

"I actually have to meet up with some friends, but you'll be here tomorrow or something?"

"I don't know. I sometimes come out to malls, but not often." I fidget in my seat.

"I see. Well, I hope to see you soon. By the way, I'm Anna." She hold out her hand for a handshake.

"G-George." I reach over and shake Anna's hand. I could feel my hand shaking like mad before reaching over to her.

"Even if you aren't here tomorrow or whenever, I'll try to keep an eye out for you so that we can people watch together. It's been fun!" Anna wave as she jogs off.

I watch her get on an escalator and disappear within the crowd. That's a first for me. Nobody would come up and talk to me before. Anna. That's something to look forward to for next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

My Impressions of Hinokio