Flash Fiction #30

Hi, I haven't gotten any new inspiration or interesting ideas in a while to write in the flash fiction genre so I apologize for that. I came across a picture on Google+ on one of the communities (Writers' Corner) as a writing prompt to get the writing juices going. I'm going to give it a try to get me out of this rut.


I have been working on my short stories and longer WIPs, so I haven't been slacking on writing in general...

Hope you enjoy =)

~~~

"Are you sure we took the correct turn earlier at the fork a while ago?" Jesse asked as he glanced at the foggy sky and unfamiliar surroundings. He checked his smartphone if he had any signal, and to no avail, it was zero bars.

After a moment of silence, Jesse put his hand on his friend's shoulder to stop him. "Hold up. Why are you being so quiet?"

Alex took his eyes off of his hand drawn map to look up at Jesse. He replied, "yeah, everything is fine. I know where we are going."

"If you say so..." Jesse didn't seem so convinced at his friend's answer, but he reluctantly let Alex lead the way. After a while of hiking, he asked, "is it just me, or is it getting foggier and more difficult to see the surroundings?"

A couple of seconds passed until Alex said, "yeah... I agree, but there should be a left coming up ahead and we're almost there at Christine's cottage."

With what felt like forever, and my aching feet from the hike, I stopped dead in my track at the mix emotions of shock and frustration. Before Alex took the right turn, I got in his way and shouted, "be honest with me, Alex. You have no idea where we are since the fog hit us, right?"

He shifted his eyes, and bit his lip. After that split second, he replied, "it was my mistake. Don't worry about it."

"I'm not going to say anything if you admit you've been wrong this whole time." Jesse put his arm out to stop Alex from walking any further. "I just want to get to Christine's place because I'm starving and tired!"

In the thickness of the fog, a tall and wide shadow in the distance emerged and Alex stumbled upon the realization, and instantly started to jump up and down excited. "Look over there! We were so close to Christine's place. Don't be such a worry wart."

As Jesse saw Alex jogging down the path, he followed from behind with one eyebrow raised at the mysterious structure hidden in the fog. "But you said it was a left turn, and now it's a right. This proved you had no idea where we were going."

Alex whispered cheekily, "don't worry about that, Jesse. It's a minor detail."

I couldn't trust Alex's relaxed attitude, but went along anyway. "If you say so..."

The forest left us as we passed the last trees into the clearing where the front lawn and sandy path greeted us to the house. The grass all around the house looked yellow and dead up until the edge of the forest. No living thing was in sight. I immediately started to poke at Alex's shoulder as hair all over my body instantly straightened up. He got annoyed after five seconds, and slapped me in the arm. "Stop that, won't you?" he glared at me, and then saw my frightened look. "What's up?"

"Are you completely oblivious? This isn't Christine's cottage at all. Let's get out of here as I am getting bad vibes from this place." I tried to drag Alex's arm towards the trees, but he wouldn't budge.

"Of course it isn't Christine's cottage. Like I said, leave it to me." Alex snatched his arm away, grinning.

"Where are you getting this confidence from?" I asked, still surprised by his easy going, and laid back outlook. "Let's double back to find the correct way."

"There's a house here, so someone must be living all the way up here. Therefore, they must have a phone and we can ask if we can use it to call Christine for the directions. It would save a lot of time than to blindly find our way."

"But still, I don't like this place. Let's just figure it out on our own." I looked wary as we approached a little closer to the lonely house.

"It'll only take five minutes to call, and we'll be on our way to Christine's. Just let me do the talking." Alex kept on looking behind him to ensure I was right on his tail.

Alex knocked against the front door, and there was no answer. He knocked again. I took a peek at one of the windows and thought I had saw a hand; however, I took a second look and  it wasn't there. Alex tried the door knob and to his surprise it was unlocked. "Hello? Anybody home?" he called out.

"Let's go, Alex. We're going to be misunderstood as trespassers," I said under my breath.

He turned around with a grin. "The phone's down the hallway. Let's make the call in a second, get directions and leave before anyone notice us."

At that moment, I saw a long haired person covered from head to toe standing on the second step of the staircase behind Alex. She gave off a cold, heartless feeling that turned the entire house below zero degrees in this warm day. Eyes widening as much as I could, I screamed and immediately turned around to scram. As soon as I turned around, I was greeted by a little girl with a creepy smile and decapitated headless doll.

"Boo."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #14