New Short Story

I've been working on a new short story the past couple of weeks. I had another one in the works, but that kind of went on hold for now. That one is called Fireflies (tentative title). It's supposedly a story about long distance relationship between a young couple when one of them goes to the city for school while leaving the other one behind. That's the gist of it at the moment.

This new short story is temporarily called A Day Before. I'm not sure whether I will keep it (probably not), but it kind of goes with how I first thought of the story from the initial idea. I woke up from a dream which had a character, Phil, being heart broken from breaking up with his girlfriend, Mimi. The dream started out in a bar with his two good friends, and he tried to drink his sorrows away. Then his ex-girlfriend, Mimi walked into the bar with a new date and Phil noticed. Before things got out of hand, Phil's friends forced him to leave. After being outside, Phil wanted to go on home but the friends were worried whether he could walk on home safely at nighttime. Phil reassured them and departed. He goes back to the past through some sort of magical coin that he received from an elderly man... then I realized it was sort of like one of my other stories.

I quickly finished the first draft to get on with the second draft. This time, I wrote the story from Mimi's perspective. I had still planned on having Mimi and Phil break up, but I had it the timeline of the story set a bit further back from the breakup to get some development going on. I don't normally write female characters, even less if they are strong, independent and career driven. I guess it comes with what I know as I'm a guy, and prefer if the main character was male. I have a WIP that has a strong female character, so I'm using this to practice on making that type of character with this short story. That's all...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

My Impressions of Hinokio